Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Chicago Black Socks Scandal

Eight Men Out

The 1988 film Eight Men Out retells the infamous Black Sox scandal of 1919 and features some well-known actors such as John Cusack, Christopher Lloyd, and Charlie Sheen. I thought the film was very good and it kept my interest throughout. It was very well acted and I can see why they decided to make this into a movie since it was an unusual event. There were some funny moments too such as when Ring Lardner, played by the director John Sayles, is singing a parody of “I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles.” I also enjoyed the interaction between the players and the media as well as Buck Weaver’s interaction with the little kids. Out of all the sports films I have seen this one was definitely one of the best and it is clear why it was critically acclaimed.
In 1919 baseball was very different from today and one of the major differences was the salary of the players because back then they did not make the astronomical salaries like they do today. Also they were paid by how well they played and how many games they won so injuries were more of a big deal then they are now. For example Eddie was hurt those two games and it affected him getting paid since he need to win 30 games. Today players get paid whether they win or lose and they also get paid through sponsorships such as Derek Jeter and Gilette. Baseball back then was all about the game and the players were celebrities but no where near to the extent that they are today.
In my opinion I do not think a scandal like this would happen in baseball today because the players are no longer being underpaid like the White Sox were. I feel the genre of sports films is still popular today since most sports films are about an underdog team who overcomes an obstacle such as in Remember the Titans. I also think that since sports are such a big part of our culture these films are popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment